Monday, May 21, 2012

Florianopolis, Brazil

So far, so good Brazil...

After a great sleep I awoke to gorgeous sunny blue skies a made my way up to the deck for breakfast. I was greeted with a fresh omelet, a massive thermos of sweet hot coffee and a huge platter of fresh fruit - apples, bananas, mandarins, oranges, kaki - all fresh and delicious! Being the only person at the hostel has its advantages, and I made short work of the meal.

On Saturday I was treated to a traditional Brazilian meal called Feijoada, prepared by the wife (an amazing cook who prepared breakfast every day) of the caretaker. I was full after my first plate, but surrendered to seconds and thirds due to the constant cries of ´como mas´ (Eat more!). They speak no English, and I no Portuguese so most of my conversations consist of smiling and ´Si!´, we make do.

Although I had spent a few days at the beach in northern Uruguay, it had nothing on where I am staying The hostel overlooks a (crystal clear) canal , and is only a short walk over the bridge to a long stretch of deserted beach. A short bus ride away are more great beaches, some picking up pretty sizable swells.

Again, it is low season and it would be a completely different experience during summer, but I am really enjoying the relaxed, beach-town atmosphere of the place.

Local fisherman spend their mornings playing dominoes on the tables the line the canal, and spend their evenings cast-netting and fishing on the rock walls and beaches. Not a bad life....

The days are amazing when the sun is out, but when the weather turns for the worse it quickly becomes clear that there is little to do otherwise, even less when you are travelling by yourself... Time to head north again.

More photos here