Friday, January 2, 2015

Mt Tinbeerwah adventures

After spending a relaxing day recovering from the New Years Eve festivities, Chris and I decided to get a climb in at Mt Tinbeerwah while the rain held off. We didn't start climbing until midday, the heat and humidity drenching us with sweat before we even laid a hand on the rock!


We started up the 70m grade 17 multi-pitch 'String Theory'. Despite the climbs being a little run out it was a fun climb. We made it to the top exhausted and decided to call it a day.


Instead of hiking back to the base of the cliff to collect our gear, I decided to abseil down from the highest point on the lookout, by my guess about 110m.


I made it down to the first belay station, when I found out that I couldn't pull the ropes down from above! The anchors were set too far back from the cliff, and the surface friction of the rock made the rope impossible to move.


There I was, stuck 50m above the ground on a nice ledge, with no way back up. Luckily I was able to yell to Chris, and after a few mis-communications he untied the top ropes and threw them over the cliff.


That being done I was able to retie the knots and abseil down the remaining distance to rejoin Chris on the ground. I was never in any danger, but I should have assessed the situation a bit more before starting down. Lesson learnt, but the abseil was fantastic.

More photos here