Monday, February 1, 2016

Climbing Mt Flinders

Another weekend where the weather threatened to disrupt any outdoor activities, to hedge our bets Tony and I decided that our best bet in staying out of the rain (but not dry) would be climbing in a cave somewhere.

We had heard that Mt Flinders had been unofficially re-opened to climbing and has been going through a period of development, so we decided to check it out.

After a short detour around a washed out bridge we arrived at the start of the track, and met with a crew of climbers heading the same way. They have been developing the crag so we followed their lead and soon arrived at an impressive cave on the south-western side.


I was already dripping with sweat from the hike in, the humidity was intense! We decided to attempt 'Grandma Aragog's Boob' (24) as a short warm up, but I couldn't make it past the crux move after the third bolt. It was incredibly steep and no matter how much chalk I used I couldn't keep my hands dry for more than a few seconds. I didn't have it in me to pull through the last section so had to admit defeat.


We decided something easier was in order so we tried 'Never Ask the Moon' (22). My arms were wrecked from the previous climb, and the combo of the heat and humidity was sucking my strength away, not to mention I was dripping with sweat. I dogged my way to the top, lowered down for a much needed drink.



That was enough for the day, I was spent! The hike back down was a little dodgy due to the brief shower while we climbed, just enough to make the rocks and paths slick without bringing any relief from the heat. We made it back to the car, mercifully I had a spare change of dry clothes to change into, slumped in the car and drove back to Brisbane.

I'm definitely looking forward to winter!

Some photos here