Saturday, May 14, 2016

Shipley Upper and The Dam Cliffs climbing

This is getting a little repetitive in the best possible way! Saturday arrived and my destination was once again the Blue Mountains. I picked up Bernard from the Mt York camping ground and we were on our way to Shiply Upper in Blackheath.


It was another stunning day, we made the short hike out to the cliffs and got climbing! I warmed up on 'The Bandoline Grip' (18) before trying the slightly harder 'Nude Tuesday' (20). From that point we walked a little further along the cliff line and climbed 'Scramble Syndome' (20) and 'Do Androids Care' (21).


We were both climbing well so we decided to have a try at something harder. We chose on 'Sexi Mexi' (23) which involved a pretty dodgy traverse to start, a fall at the start would almost certainly ensure a ground fall! Once through that section is became steep and very thin, somehow I managed to pull through the crux and finish the climb onsight! No rests, no prior attempts, my hardest climb in that style so far, a new personal best!



The climbing had left me with pretty sore fingertips, we climbed 'Girly Germs' (21) before decided to try somewhere new.



We hiked out and drove to nearby Blackheath for a coffee and some delicious proper hot pies. After some discussion we decided to try somewhere new, and with that we drove onward towards a dam on the outer part of the national park. 

We found a very different style of rock and climbing at The Dam Cliffs, but the area was great. More jugs and less crimps, so the fingers got a momentary reprieve.

We climbed 'Lonely Thursday' (19), 'A Tale of Two Cities' (18), 'The Sisters of Fatima' (16) and 'Stormin Norman' (18) in quick succession as the sun went down.



With only enough light left in the day for one last climb, I decided that a thin crimp fest was what my body needed! I led 'Vasco Pyjama' (22), taking a rest before the crux as my fingers were hurting. Somehow I managed to lunge off the tiny and sharp crux and stick the crucial hold with a single finger, before finishing the climb and the day. Bernard followed and with that we were walking back at dusk.


I managed eleven climbs on mostly thin, delicate and technical routes, my fingers were done for the day but I was feeling fantastic! I dropped Bernard back off at his tent and made my way back down to Sydney. Another brilliant day of climbing!

More photos here