Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Mompiche, Ecuador


Another week, another tiny beach town on the Pacific Ocean. Finally north of the equator, the warm clear water, hazy (overcast and cloudy) days and mild nights were very seductive. The perfect place to unwind, I spent a week in Mompiche swimming, reading, relaxing and eating fresh fish a couple of times a day. It is such a great feeling being 20m from the beach, swimming in the mornings and afternoons, having the sand between my toes and dried salt on my skin all day long.


The town's livelihood depends on fishing, every morning a small fleet of wooden boats head out for the day, at night they line the beach on wooden rollers ready for the next day. The beach disappears at high tide, at low tide the nearby point is supposed to be a world class surf break. For the week I was there it didn't get any higher than a foot, instead I walked along the long stretch of beach past groves of Coconut palms and thatched roof huts.

Very easy to slow down and get into the spirit of being a beachcomber, the first time on my trip that I have felt on holiday rather than travelling.

More photos here