Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pucon, Chile

Pucon to me feels like Byron Bay, if instead of beaches you were surrounded by mountains. Very touristy and overpriced, but I avoided the action adventures (climbing a volcan not withstanding) and laced up my hiking boots.

First off, Noah (an American I met in Santiago) and I ventured out to El Canl on a wet and overcast day. It wasn´t our first choice but something to do with daylight savings happened overnight and we missed our desired bus by and hour. Our backup plan took us to the 400 ha forest that was formed by a citizens group to protect the ancient arucaria forest from logging. It didn´t stop drizzling the whole day which was a blessing as it was hard enough work making our way to the end without the added challenge of the sun beating down on us. We managed to make it to the mirador (lookout) after a steep and demanding 3 1/2 hour hike and were rewarded with...... mist. Visibility was less than 10m, but it was great to walk through the forest in fog, very atmospheric. Eating wild plums and mulberries that dotted the trail was icing on the cake! No photos unfortunately.

After a days rest I ventured out to the Parque Nacional Huerquehue and walked the Los Lagos trail. It wove through more ancient forests, moss covered trees and walls of bamboo and opened up to several  spectacular crystal clear, blue lakes. What I wouldn´t give for a kayak, a fishing rod and some decent lures. I stopped for lunch on a granite boulder and relaxed for a while, doing my best lizard impersonation. Basking in the hot sun with only the sound of the wind in the trees and the noise of birds and insects was amazing.

The next day Max (a german guy I met at the hostel in Pucon) and I took the bus out to the Parque Nacional Huerquehue to attempt the San Sebastion trail. It promised to be a harder hike and it didn´t dissapoint. Immediately after we started the trail steepened as it was obvious this wasn´t a heavily walked trail, unlike the previous day. After an hour we made it to the first flat section, a field of golden grass framed by the Andes and volcanos in the distance. After a brief bite to eat with incredible views we continued on trekking through ancient trees and scrambling up granite boulders until we conquered the summit. We had 360 degree views on the park and no clouds in sight. Such an amazing view, it was well worth the difficult hike. We had lunch on a granite boulder overlooking the valley, while a hawk glided on the thermals so close we could hear it pass. I may have also fallen alseep for 30 minutes or so.....

In the one week I have been in Pucon I have climbed over 4000 metres, there are so many amazing trails and parks to explore. Although sore and my feet may be missing more skin that I care to admit but it was definitely an amazing experience. Also, $2 bottles of red wine ease the pain...

More photos here