Monday, October 15, 2012

Medellin, Colombia

From Bogota Dave and I took an overnight bus to the city of Medellin, once one the most violent cities in the world. Today the city is a lot safer, but not without its seedier side. Luckily we were staying in a nice hostel (free pancakes and coffee all day) in the safest neighbourhood of Medellin.

We took in the architecture throughout the city, only occasionally wandering into the dangerous parts. A definite highlight was visiting the aquarium (the largest of its kind in South America) and the technological museum above it. I felt like a kid again, testing my speed in a foot race against a cheetah (I lost), seeing a live thermal image of myself, and lots of other awesome experiments.

I like Medellin, a nicer city than Bogota and Cali, but we quickly learned that during October it starts to rain at 3:00 PM every afternoon. We were caught out twice, the second time whilst attending a free rock concert in the park. We were thoroughly drenched by the time we made it back to the hostel, but the days are warm and the nights pleasant and it is nice to be staying in a smaller, more managable city.

More photos here