Friday, October 5, 2012

Cali, Colombia

Twenty four hours after I left the hostel in Quito I arrived to Cali, Colombia. The border crossing from Ecuador was simple, although in my haste I allowed myself to get ripped off when changing money over. After having dinner in the border town of Ipiales (where a group of young girls took a fascination of me, and a toddler was so delighted to see me writing my journal he climbed onto my table and started imitating me when I gave him a sheet of paper) I took an overnight bus to Cali. Arriving in the morning I was immediately struck by the heat of the city, I found a hostel and waited out the heat of the day in the shade.

I was given a guided tour of the downtown area and northern suburbs by some very friendly locals I met through the couchsurfing website. A great way to see the place and get an insiders perspective on the city. Something that I should have tried sooner.

After three sweaty days I was ready to head to slightly cooler climes and a safer city. When walking around downtown I saw riot and motorbike police give chase to a young guy across the adjacent street from where I was. Cali has a reputation of being a dangerous city, it was time to head somewhere a lot more relaxed. 

More photos here