Saturday, August 2, 2014

Winter Wakeboarding

So what if it is winter, and I forgot my wetsuit. What better way to start the weekend than with a refreshing dip in the Nerang River.

It took us a while to get going in the morning as the battery in the boat was dead. We quickly got bored waiting for it to charge so I removed the spare battery from my Patrol, jumped started it, and were almost on our way.

Somehow we completely destroyed a jockey wheel in the process of winching the boat down the ramp.


It was a beautiful day, the sun was out and there was not a cloud in the sky, but the increasing breeze had quite a chill to it. Undeterred by the absence of anyone else in the river I jumped in, waited for my breath to return, and set off on my wakeboard. It was a lot of fun, but my fingers and muscles didn't last to long in the cold and after a few long rides (I was afraid to try any tricks and fall into the water) I returned to the comfort of the boat.

The other guys had a go in the water, and I braved one last chance before heading home. Halfway though my second run I got a piercing headache which I think was caused by the cold, so we called it quits and went home for a hot cup of tea.


Not the smoothest of trips but we easily replaced the wheel, found the momentarily lost single ski, re-charged the battery and didn't lose any limbs to frostbite. All in all a great morning.