Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Mezzaluna Wall

Winter has well and truly arrived in Sydney! I heard from my friends living in the Blue Mountains it had started to snow on Friday night, so first thing on Saturday morning I went to see for myself.

Under a crisp, clear blue sky I arrived to Leura, it was only once I turned off the motorway that I saw the remnants of yesterdays weather. It was only a dusting, but there were plenty of white roofs and iced over windshields around town. The roads were clear and there was no wind, so after a coffee I took Stuart and Tim out to Mt York for some rock climbing.



Given that the temperature was only a few degrees above zero and I was climbing with some beginners, I decided to check out 'Mezzaluna Wall' which offered some easier grades.



We climbed in the sun, but it did little to warm the rock and it wasn't long before our hands were numb from the cold. It made the easiest climbs much harder as we were unable to judge the quality of the holds, but we managed to get in a few climbs before the sun set. And I only got hit with one snowball so I considered the day a success!

I stayed the night in Leura with Cherry and Byron, it was a very cold night but mulled wine made it comfortable. After a decent nights sleep I awoke to no snow but a layer of frost covering my car.




After breakfast, Byron and I  decided to head back to Mezzaluna Wall to climb some more easy grades, Cherry would join us later on. Unfortunately the wall didn't receive any sun until after midday, so the first few hours there were less than ideal. Just as the sun crested the wall the clouds set in, so it was a day of frozen hands and feet. Again we attempted some easier grades, just happy to be outdoors and climbing.


The skies grew more grey as the afternoon went on, so we called it a day in case we were in for some more bad weather. After a pub meal in Blackheath is was time to return to Sydney where it was slightly warmer. I was a little disappointed I wasn't in the Blue Mountains while it snowed, but there is still plenty of winter left!

More photos here