Monday, October 17, 2016

Blackheath

Friday night I left Sydney and drove up to the Blue Mountains looking forward to a full weekend of camping and climbing. I stopped at Perrys Lookdown well after dark and proceeded to set up a basic camp. It was such a beautiful night that I discarded the fly of my tent and fell asleep under a full moon silhouetting the towering gum trees above.

I woke at first light, it was only a short walk to the lookout where I arrived just in time to see the sun rise to the east.




I packed up camp while I made breakfast, and had a leisurely start to the day, not needing to meet Jen, my climbing partner, until a few hours later.

It was only a short drive back to Blackheath where we hiked out to a climbing area called Heathcliff. We arrived while the cliff was still in shade, but the rock wasn't too cold and we set up off some nice long routes. After climbing a couple of multi-pitches, then a few longer multi-pitches, we decided to have a crack at a difficult multi-pitch to end the day.





Jen lead the first pitch of 'Leighsageezer' (grade 22, 23m) which began as a very steep will with lots of delicate thin moves on tiny crimps. I lead the second pitch (grade 23, 25m), a steep wall that led to a small roof about 35m off the ground. It took me a few goes to find the sequence, but it felt amazing to pull over the roof and get back onto some easier ground. The view was amazing, and I belayed Jen to the top and enjoyed the scenery.




We abseiled back down and called it a day, we had climbed nine pitches and about 180m and wanted to make the long hike out before nightfall.

I drove back to Perrys Lookdown, once again set up camp and was in bed relatively early sleeping under the stars. It was another relaxed start on Sunday morning before meeting Jen again at Porter's Pass.



It was another stunning day, we climbed a few more routes during the day, on lines that required a nice mix of strength, balance, endurance and technique. By mid-afternoon we were spent and hiked back out to the carpark, where an esky full of half melted ice awaited to soothe our tender hands.





My idea of a perfect weekend, I returned to Sydney very relaxed.

More photos here