Saturday, November 5, 2016

Blackheath Climbing

The upcoming mega-long Mt Barney climb is getting closer, so I've been trying to get out and climb as much as possible, as well as brush up on my multi-pitch technique. First up was a 104m long multi-pitch out in Blackheath called 'Bellbird Wall' (19).


The climbing was fairly straight forward, my partner was one of the first ascensionists so we didn't have any problems on the route.

The first pitch was a simple slab, the second involved some nice exposure and a few powerful moves through a slight overhang.



The third pitch was short and easy, but had some really fun moves climbing out from underneath a deep cave. I ended up sitting on the rock ledge and shuffling along with my legs on the other side of the break until I reached the lip and was able to climb out and over. Fun!


After that we changed area and drove to nearby 'Zig Zag Wall'. We climbed a few more routes until it was getting too late to continue. After a quick stop at 'Sunset Rock' to enjoy the view we called it a day.



More photos here