Sunday, July 2, 2017

The Coastal Track

After telling a workmate about my previous hike in the Royal National Park, he was inspired to try to walk the complete coastal track so we arranged to meet at the entrance to the park early on Saturday morning and attempt the 30km one way trip while the weather was fine.

After he unsurprisingly canceled last minute I decided to hike it anyway and drove to Bundeena where I would start my journey from the northern end of the trail. It was shaping up to be a stunning day, clear skies but very cold in the early morning light. 

I parked near the Bundeena ferry and after fifteen minutes walking through the small coastal township I arrived at the trail head. The early morning sun bathed the path in a gorgeous golden hue, and the sight of the rugged coastal headlands being battered by a rough swell was stunning.





I hiked past the Balconies and Wedding Cake rock, and in just over an hour I was at Marley Beach, the northernmost point of my trip the previous week. I was back on familiar ground, making good time while still taking time to enjoy the spectacular scenery.




I passed Wattamolla beach and only stopped for morning tea when I reached Eagle Rock. I ate some cheese and crackers while watching the salt spray from the pounding ocean flow up over the cliffs due to the strong winds. It had taken two hours and forty-five minutes for me to reach the half way point of the hike, I had barely seen anyone else on the trail and was enjoying the serenity.




Continuing on past a deserted Garie Beach (quite a change from last week) the track meandered through some small beach shack villages to rise and fall with the undulating headlands. Fatigue was starting to set in a little as the track became sandier the further south I went, but I was on the home stretch and was still making good progress.



The popular 'Figure Eight' pools were still underwater due to the high tide, so I continued on into the 'Burning Palms' section where the track started to steepen. I was nearing the end of the trail, and five and a half hours and thirty kilometers after I started I made it to the Otford Lookout, the end of the hike!


I took the long way to the station, only to realize I had just missed the train and the next one wouldn't arrive for another two hours! It eventually arrived and I took the service to Cronulla as the day was getting late.



The sun was setting by the time I caught the last ferry from Cronulla wharf and I enjoyed the leisurely ride back to Bundeena. I was glad to have parked close the the ferry that morning, shortly after darkness set in an I was in my car heading back to Sydney, tired but content.

More photos here