Monday, April 11, 2016

Hiking in the Royal National Park

I caught some bands at the Oxford Art Factory on Friday night, so Saturday was always going to be a slower day. After a week of grey and overcast skies the sun was out in full force for the weekend, so I went for a walk to the Powerhouse Museum to check out what was on offer.

My disinterest in superheros was more than outweighed by my love of Lego, and I enjoyed the DC comics Lego Superhero exhibition. The Batman pieces were the highlight, especially a full size replica of the Bat mobile which used almost half a million Lego pieces. Very impressive. The rest of the museum had some great exhibitions and is definitely worth a visit.




A catch-up with friends later on Saturday meant another late night, and I awoke on Sunday morning surprised at the lateness of the day. After a quick breakfast I filled a camel pack with water, grabbed  handful of chocolates (Fantails) and drove out to the Royal National Park south of Sydney to do some hiking.


It was another brilliant day, I parked my car at the Otford lookout just before midday and set off north along the famous Coastal Track. It was hot out in the sun but the track lead through a thick forest which kept things cool.

The first lookout I came to offered another amazing view over rocky headlands and gorgeous blue waters, looking down on Werrong beach. It was only a few hundred metres into the trek so I quickly continued along my way.


I hiked through the Palm Jungle before exiting into some grassy fields where I made my way down towards the ocean. After a short scramble down a small cliff I joined the crowds at the figure eight rock pools.



It was nice to stop for a swim, but I didn't stay for long and left the crowds to continue my hike. I rounded the point to South Era beach. Past the camp site at North Era then on to Garie Beach. The nine kilometre hike had taken only a few hours but I arrived to a patrolled surf beach and small café ready for a break. Unfortunately I had left my wallet in my car, so the prospect of a hot meal and cold drink would have to wait. I ate the last of my chocolates and readied myself for the long walk home.





Rather than retrace my steps I walked up along the steep windy road to the Governor Game lookout, where I took the Garrawarra Ridge track back to Otford. I had this section of the track to myself, hiking along as the golden sun shone through the forest.


It was late in the day when I arrived back to my car, and after eighteen kilometres I was ready for something to eat! Rather than drive around and try to find a café still open I settled down on a grassy area at the Otford lookout with a beautiful view to the south and cooked up a hearty pasta and salmon meal on my hiking stove I had stored in my car.


With my hunger temporarily sated I got in my car and returned to Sydney. Given some planning the twenty-six kilometre route of the complete Coast Track would be do-able, perhaps before I return to Brisbane I will explore the tracks I didn't see today.

More photos here