Monday, April 18, 2016

Canberra

My secondment down in Sydney has been extended, but that is no reason to slow down my exploration of the surrounding areas. This weekend I had decided to drive to Canberra and see what the nation's capital had to offer.

The three and a half hour drive south was a pleasant one, the colours of Autumn are out in full force. That is always a nice touch especially coming from Brisbane where the season doesn't seem to exist.

I headed straight to the Australian War Memorial where I spent the remainder of the day. Anzac Day was only a week away, and as I walked through the many thorough and impressive displays I had time to contemplate its significance. The overwhelming feelings of sorrow and disgust at the colossal waste of human life on all sides was hard to shake. I stayed for the sombre Last Post ceremony and was back in my car as dusk set in.





I left the city and drove out east to a camp site on the banks of the Cotter River, just below the dam wall. It was school holidays and I was taking a risk on finding an available spot, but while the area was mostly full of campers I was able to find a small site at the end of the road where the noise of the river drowned out all others. After a hot meal courtesy of my spirit stove I retired to my tent as intermittent rain fell from above.



The next morning was cold (thirteen degrees) and overcast, I broke down my tent over breakfast and was soon on my way. It was a pretty drive through the Tidbinbilla farming valley, the road often lined with golden leaved trees, and I turned off along a non-descript road flanked by sheep-filled paddocks towards my next stop.



The Canberra Deep Space Communication Complex, home to, among other things, the antenna which broadcast Neil Armstrong's first steps on the moon



I walked through the small but informative museum, complete with space suits, moon rocks, and models of rockets, space ships and landers. Great stuff! After a coffee on the balcony looking out at the antennae I continued my journey back to Canberra.



I toured the National Portrait Gallery, then spent a few hours at the National Gallery of Australia. Time was running out but I managed to take in all of the displays before wandering a short distance to the Old Parliament House building.



The political cartoon exhibition was a highlight, and it was interesting to walk through the rooms and corridors of such a historic building.



It was getting late in the day but I wanted to see Parliament House before I left. It was only a short drive, I had just enough time to take a few photos in the courtyard before needing to leave.



I left Canberra with quite a few things still undiscovered. I didn't make it to the National Museum, the Film and Television Library or many of the other sites, I could have easily spent another day or two exploring the capital. I was surprised at how pretty the surrounding areas are, and would be more than happy to return again.

More photos here