Monday, April 2, 2012

Barioloche, Argentina. Pt 1

Needing a change of pace I crossed the border into Argentina and stopped at Bariloche. A medium sized town on the banks of lake Nahuel Haupi, it offers plenty of outdoor activies to offset the dozens of chocolate shops in town.

Feeling the need to get outdoors, I set off on a 8 hour trek through Parque Nacioal Nahuel Haupi. Starting at Lago Gutierrez, the first few hours took me through forrests, past lakes, all with the Patagonian Andes in the background. It is hard to tire of views like those...

Gradually the path steepend as I ascended to the site of Refugio Frey. Situated next to a small lake high in the mountains, the view from the huts are breathtaking! One of several refugios in the area, I am definitely regretting not bringing any camping gear with me. Maybe next time.

After lunch with a view, I continued on to the second part of the trek. The path dissapeared as I scrambled up and over rocks and boulders for the next several hours. Eventually the path returned as I came to Cerro Catedral, a ski resort during winter months. Scrambling down the winding dirt roads wasn't the greatest way to end a hike of such beauty but I finally arrived at the bottom very dusty but content.

More photos here