Monday, April 30, 2012

Buenos Aires, Argentina

I managed to make it through the 40 hour bus ride from El Calafate to Buenos Aires without too difficulty, and arrived early Sunday morning to the 'Paris of South America'. For starters, while not hot, BA is a lot warmer than where I have come from which is a great start. I stayed in the San Telmo district, an old neighbourhood with old buildings, cobblestone streets and lots of broken glass. A short walk to La Boca (home of the Boca Jrs football club) and Puerto Madero (a new upmarket waterfront area) and an easy subway ride to Palermo (home of the rich) it was an ideal location to check out the city.

I spent most of my time wandering the busy streets, going to museums, gardens, planetariums and finally finding some cafe coffee that wasn't Nescafe Instant served in a cup.

There are plenty of parks to be found and most areas have museums and other interesting places so it has been easy to keep busy. I'm making the most of my days, although my fellow travellers stick to a more nocturnal cycle, their 'days' don't end until 7 AM in the morning when they come home from clubs.



And the night life? Anyone who knows me well could tell you that going to hip-hop / RnB / dance clubs etc isn't really my idea of a good night, but there is some fun to be had regardless. If I stayed longer I'm sure I could find something to suit my tastes, but to be honest the night life of Buenos Aires hasn't really captured me. I think with a close group of friends it would be a lot more fun, one of the downsides to travelling solo...

With the days getting cooler I am continuing my journey further north along the west coast of the continent. Next stop Uruguay.

More photos here