Friday, April 20, 2012

Perito Moreno glacier, El Calafate, Argentina

I left Puerto Natales in Chile and made my way to the Argentinian city of El Calafate. A small town with only one real draw-card, but it is a good one. The 34km long, 250 km2 glacier Perito Moreno. The next day I set off on the 'Big-Ice' trek. I arrived to overcast dreary skies but the sight of the enormous glacier was astounding! The ice-bridge that occasionally forms when the ice advances to the shores had recently collapsed, the remnants of the natural destruction was still visible.

After spending an hour walking around the boarwalk overlooking the glacier, I took a small boat and crossed Lago Argentino to the far shore. From there it was a one hour walk along the north face of the glacier until we came to a spot where we could access the ice.

Once again it was time to 'crampon up', I wish I could wear those things everywhere! We walked for the next four hours on the glacer while the sun came out from the clouds and brought out the amazing colours of the ice.

We stopped for lunch on the glacier in between navigating watery crevasses and small icy caves. At times it felt like being in a watery desert, the shape of the glacier resembling sand dunes in certain places.

All good things have to come to an end, and late in the afternoon we returned to the shore to catch the boat back to the awaiting bus. Sitting on the open top-deck admiring the last view of the glacier one last surprise was in store. Unknowing to me, a glass of whisky was included in the price! I had spent the day with an Irishman who couldn't drink(!) so I was lucky enough to have a double, chilled with a hefty chunk of glacial ice.... Pretty much a perfect day!

More photos here