Saturday, May 5, 2018

Corona Del Mar

I was energized by the multiple pre-dawn coffees and wanted to try to get into a normal sleep rhythm as soon as possible. Bec and I decided to walk around Corona Del Mar, showing me her new home town. We walked down her palm lined street across the flower lined  'Goldenrod Footbridge'. This lead to the Pacific Ocean where was strolled past the immaculately manicured gardens of the stunning beach / cliff side houses.





We followed the path down to the beach, I took off my shoes and waded ankle deep into the frigid water, that was enough for me. That gave me an extra burst of energy, so we decided to visit Newport Beach and Balboa Island.



I ticked off a Frozen Banana from my USA bucket list (a local icon from classic TV show Arrested Development) and the spent the afternoon walking around the tiny island. No matter how small and narrow the streets, and seemingly how far from anything resembling 'off-roading', there were giant trucks with huge mud tyres and suspension lifts (all shiny and immaculate) lining the car parks and roads. I was only slightly jealous...




We caught a small ferry across the Balboa peninsula where we walked to the end of the Balboa Pier and surveyed the endless beaches to the north and south. I was starting to fade so we returned to the mainland, but not before Bec destroyed me at a game of skee-ball.



Back home I took a quick power-nap, then decided 'when-in-rome' and headed to a local Mexican bar / restaurant to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. We ordered some margaritas (with amazingly realistic moustaches thrown in for free) and some great Mexican food before heading back down to Inspiration Point for sunset.



That was the end of a long day, but a fantastic introduction to California. I was in bed early and fell fast asleep. Much more to come.

More photos here