Friday, May 4, 2018

Sydney to LAX

Bags were packed and I was ready to go. 4o kilograms, 160 litres of bag space, camping gear, climbing gear, slightly less than the kitchen sink. I stayed up late on Friday night to try and get a head start on recovering from jet lag, set four alarms for the space of thirty minutes so I wouldn't dream of oversleeping alarms.




I was lucky enough to get a very early lift to the airport from a good mate, I checked in my baggage and watched the sun come up from Sydney international airport. Coffee to keep me awake passed the time until it was time to board, and before long I was in the air. Over five years since my last holiday, I was way overdue.



I watched Sydney pass beneath me, soon it was endless oceans and the occasional coral island. Night arrived, the hours ticked by, little sleep was had, and before I knew it we were descending into Los Angeles. The sun was coming up as I passed through customs, I had my bags and I was out. It was two hours earlier than I left Australia, consequence of passing the international time zone.




To no avail I ran around trying to find wifi to contact my friend, by the time I sorted out a new SIM card and called she was already in the arrival lounge looking for me. We jumped in her car to escape LA before the traffic set in, and made our way back to Corona Del Mar. I dumped my bags and the adventure began...

More photos here