Tuesday, May 22, 2018

New York City

Ok, this might be a big one...

Day 1.

One sleepless overnight flight later and I found myself bleary-eyed and slightly jet lagged in New York City! I caught the train and subway from JFK airport into Queens, Long Island City where I would be staying for the next six nights. After my first taste of the famous NYC attitude courtesy of an irate subway conductor berating latecomers to his train, I set my bags down in my hostel and started exploring. I grabbed a coffee and bagel from a food cart just outside my building (for a total of $2.50) and a short walk later I was over the Queensboro bridge and in Manhattan!





My first stop was Central Park, figuring that would be the best way to experience the city without being overcome in my sleep deprived state. I walked the numbered avenues east until I hit the oasis of greenery and continued to walk with no real destination in mind.





It wasn't long before the gray skies opened up, luckily the timing coincided with the opening of the Metropolitan Museum of Arts, so I grabbed a ticket and spent the rest of the day wandering through the amazing exhibitions. The place is gigantic, too much to see in single day if you want to really sit and soak in the art, but I managed to see a hell of a lot of amazing pieces and was satisfied with the day I spent there.

I was starting to fade to I retraced my steps across the bridge, checked into my hotel and got some much needed rest.



Day 2.

Out the door, coffee and a bagel in hand as I once again crossed the bridge, this time heading south toward Midtown, the incredible allure of the skyline too irresistible. Everywhere I looked there was something amazing to see, another block another piece of history or magnificent building.





I spent the day with my head craned to the sky, thankfully no clouds in sight. I sent the entire morning walking up and down the avenues, turning down streets that looked interesting. 



  







 I passed through Times Square in the early afternoon, senses overloading. Walls of flashing advertisements, hordes of tourists, equal parts tacky and intoxicating.





 I needed a break from the constant simulation so I walked back to Central Park for a rest. From there I walked along the Upper West Side, wealth and privilege apparent as I passed immaculate old buildings complete with wall dressed doormen / concierges.






I returned to Times Square later that night, if anything it was more impressive in the dark. I revisited many places that evening, the night changing the look and feel of the city once again. Back to my hostel close to midnight, feeding off the energy of the city making the long days easy.






Day 3.

My plan today was to visit Brooklyn, but the ferry I look from Long Island didn't stop at the borough, instead dropping me off at the southern end of Manhattan, close to the famous financial district.








I saw the long lines of tourists waiting to visit Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty so instead I explored Wall St and the historical area surrounding it. Eventually I made my way to the World Trade Centre Memorial, a tasteful and sombre reminder of recent history.













That afternoon I crossed the Brooklyn Bridge (with seemingly every other tourist in NYC) to explore a different side of the city.








Less built-up but with more character, it was nice to walk the streets and get a feel for suburbs. I crossed the Williamsburg Bridge, not a tourist in sight, definitely a grittier and more 'real' experience compared to my earlier bridge crossing.











Each suburb had its own distinct feel, with Williamsburg feeling very 'hip' and gentrified. Still, some very nice places to explore, I finished the afternoon at the WYNC Transmitter park where I bathed my sore feet in the East River and watched another sun go down over the Manhattan skyline. Stunning.




 
Day 4.

More exploring to do, I wanted to keep seeing new places so I kept walking and ticking off new areas. Hell's Kitchen, Chelsea, walking back along the west side via the Highline, a reclaimed public open space replacing the old retired train line.







 







Back down to Battery Park where I caught a ferry across to Staten Island, getting a great view of the Statue of Liberty along the way. It was smaller than I was expecting...






 Back on Manhattan I passed through Chinatown and Little Italy on my way back to Queens, every few blocks felt like a different country, always something exciting to be found.












 Day 5.

Feeling like I needed a slightly less active day I ventured back across Central Park (on foot of course) to the Museum of Natural History. I spent the better part of the day walking the many exhibitions, the amount of incredible displays was overwhelming, too much to take in during a single day. Too many highlights, I left the museum six hours later with my curiosity sated.









It was my last night in NYC, what better way to finish than to find a small, hole-in-the-wall restaurant and sit down to devour a 12" pizza with a few cold beers. Perfection.

I experienced so much in NYC the five days I was there, but I barely scratched the surface. An incredible place, I didn't want to leave and with any luck I'll return to see more in the future.

Many, many more photos here