Monday, May 14, 2018

Zion National Park

There was no point staying in Las Vegas if we couldn't climb, so we packed up our camp and set off on a road trip to Zion National Park. We left Nevada, passed through Arizona, and a few hours later arrived to the park entrance in Utah. The scenery was already stunning, immense sandstone cliffs rising either side of the road. I could tell I would love this place!




The place was busy although not quite in peak tourist season, we caught the shuttle into the park and started up the track to the 'Hidden Canyon'. Chris didn't let his injury stop him, he was able to keep pace with a large number of hikers as we switch-backed up the mountainside. More great views of the valley below, the park growing even more beautiful with the afternoon light.




After we returned to the valley floor we caught the shuttle to the end of the park and walked along the river towards the Narrows. This was a popular hike but we were able to walk next to the stream, away from the main path, and it felt like we had the place to ourselves.






The camp grounds in and around Zion were full, so after dinner we searched for some state land to spend the night. After a few false starts we found a small rest area a little distance from the main road, set up out tent and called it a day.

The next morning we were up at the crack of dawn and on our way into the park. We arrived to the museum before the crowds, got a close park and set off for more hiking. I left Chris to do his own thing, I decided to hike up 'Observatory Point', the longest day hike with the most elevation gain. It was still early, the park was absolutely stunning in the morning light.






I reached the lookout point, the view was breathtaking. I sat and relaxed, transfixed by the scene in front of me. Simply phenomenal. I took my time on the hike back to the valley floor, catching the shuttle back to meet Chris for lunch.





I spent the rest of the afternoon checking out the shorter hikes, lazing on the grass at the meadows, and even took a much needed swim in the Virgin river. Very refreshing.

As the sun was fading, Chris and I drove to an observation point overlooking the park. We timed it perfectly, making the hike out a few minutes before the sun fell behind the mountains. We even saw some big horn sheep!





Another amazing day, we drove back out to our camping area and collapsed for the night.

An even earlier start the next morning, I had one final thing to check off my list. I caught the shuttle to 'Angels Landing' and began the steep hike to the top. Another incredible hike, unbelievable views wherever I looked. The path was steep and narrow in sections, but the reward was immense. Once again I sat and savoured the view from the end, a fitting end to my time in Zion.






Reluctantly leaving the park behind, Chris and I drove back to Las Vegas for his flight home in the afternoon. We said our goodbyes, I returned to the Red Rock Canyon camp ground for one last night. It was a shame that Chris was injured and we didn't climb as much as expected, but being able to experience Zion was incredible and I'm glad not to have missed it.

More photos here