Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Paraty, Brazil

Along the coast of Brazil, between Sao Paulo and Rio De Janeiro, the town of Paraty can be found. The old historic aspect of the town has been well preserved, the uneven cobblestones and low-set white buildings mark the ancient centre. It was on a rainy overcast afternoon that I walked along the streets and noticed something I hadn´t seen since Brisbane, January 2011. The incoming tide breaching the bay walls, and salt water starting to creep into the city centre. Soon the nearby roads were under a foot of water, I had to make my way along the raised sections and across makeshift ramps to navigate the area closest to the bay.

In the days before sanitation the town planners had thought that a great way to clean the city twice a day. Later, the tide receded taking it all the oil and grime from the streets. I´m glad I put off swimming in the nearby beach until after I saw that, pretty disgusting!

Only a small town, the rest of my days were spent exploring the nearby beaches and waterfalls. After a poor start the weather came good, bright sunny days to finish my time there. After a very sweaty bike ride it was amazing to swim in the frigid waterfalls and streams. The nearby beaches were nice, although they had nothing on Florianopolis it was great after the heat of Sao Paulo.

More photos here