Thursday, June 21, 2012

Spanish in Sucre, Bolivia

The last week has been a rush of countryside and sleepless nights on buses and trains.  In seven days I have done the following:
  • Rio de Janeiro -> Foz do Iguacu = 1,500km, 25 hours on a bus.
  • Two nights in a hostel.
  • Foz do Iguacu -> Campo Grande = 730 km, 16 hours on a bus.
  • Campo Grande -> Corumba = 530 km, 8 hours on a bus.
  • One night in a hostel.
  • Corumba (Brazil) -> Santa Cruz (Bolivia) = 650km, 13 hours on a train.
  • Santa Cruz -> Sucre = 580km, 14 hours on a bus.


I arrived, bleary eyed and sore-necked after a horrible bus ride, in sunny but cold Sucre, a small town in Bolivia at 2750m above sea level. The change in countryside has been impressive, bringing to mind the scenery I was expecting when I pictured South America before leaving home. Arid, mountainous vistas, and stark white houses with terracotta roofs. Nights will be getting cold now due to the elevation, a tough pill to swallow after the pleasant barmy evenings in south-west Brazil.

Tired and embarrassed of saying "No hablo castelleno" I have enrolled in a 60 hour Spanish language course, before continuing my travels. I like what I have seen of Bolivia so far, Sucre should be the perfect place to relax, learn and plan the next stage of my trip.

Photos of Sucre to come in the following weeks.