Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

It was a beautiful sunny day when I arrived in Rio de Janeiro, but it didn´t stay that way for long. The first morning I spent on the beach at Copacabana, but after lunch the skies clouded and the heavens opened up. I stayed for a total of 9 days and probably had 12 hours of sunshine the whole time. When the sun was out it was gorgeous, but the weather didn´t want to co-operate. Between watching the Euro 2012 matches, brief stops at the beaches, visiting museums-art galleries, cathedrals and the occasional beer / street party I was kept occupied for most of my time, but I extended my stay on the chance of visiting Sugarloaf and the Redeemer during a sunny day. It wasn´t to be.

After taking a gamble that the sun would stay out (I had high hopes when I woke up on my last full day in Rio as it was bright and sunny outside) I took the bus and train to the imposing Redeemer, but when I arrived to the top the statue was shrouded in fog. Occasionally a gust of wind would reveal a slight glimpse of the amazing panorama, but even that abated as the fog fully set in. By the time I left you could not see the arms of the statue, and I walked down the stairs back to the train in a mist.

Disappointing, but I really enjoyed my time in Rio, I met some great people and definitely want to return in the future...

More photos here