Saturday, August 4, 2012

Isla del Sol, Bolivia

Isla del Sol (Island of the Sun) is an island on the southern end of Lake Titicaca in Bolivia. At 3800m A.S.L it is also the largest lake in South America. Straight from another lucky bus journey from Rurrenabaque to La Paz I continued on to Copacabana, a small town on the banks of Lake Titicaca. As soon as I arrived I caught a leisurely ferry across to Isla del Sol, where the Incans believe the Sun God was born.

After lugging my huge backpack up very steep winding steps I managed to find some cheap accommodation and explored the southern end of the island. I spent the afternoon navigating the rocky trails, and walked to the lookout at 4077m for an amazing sunset.





I awoke the next morning at 5:00 to walk the 16km round trip to the Northern end of the island, home to some interesting archaeological ruins. I set off under a full moon, rarely needing my head torch unless I passed under the shadows of trees or buildings. I made good time and was rewarded for my early start with a stunning sunrise.




I passed some ancient ruins, the site of the birth of the Incan Sun God and past a ceremonial sacrificial altar. Very interesting walk. I returned to my hostel exhausted but exhilarated, had a much needed coffee and returned to Copacabana.




The first week of August celebrates Bolivian Independence, so I hiked up the central hill along with hundreds of locals for a great view of the city. Unlike the locals, I did not get roaring drunk nor did I get blessed by having an live armadillo rubbed all over my body.



It was time to leave Bolivia after having spent a great six weeks there, only two weeks more than my visa allowed! It was a stressful 15 minutes at the border control, but I managed to make it to Peru without being detained!

More photos here