Saturday, August 11, 2012

Machu Picchu, Peru

The day had finally arrived...



Up at 4:20 AM, we arrived to the bottom checkpoint (2000m A.S.L) just before the opening time of 5:00 AM, and already a line of people had begun to form. Minutes later the gates were open, and after a short queue getting my ticket checked I was on my way!

With a head torch to guide me in the darkness I made my way up the endless steps (I was told over 2800) for 35 strenuous minutes, I arrived at the top checkpoint (2400m A.S.L) out of breath and drenched in sweat, and waited for the main gates to open at 6:00 AM.

When the finally did I rushed inside to get my first awe-inspiring view of the ancient ruins, it did not disappoint!





I ran around taking photos before our official guided tour started. The history of the ruins is quite interesting, and we were led around the significant sites before we were left to explore on our own.

During this time the sun peaked over the surrounding mountains, the view was simply breathtaking.


I walked around for several hours before heading up to the sun gate. From there it was back to the main area and off to climb Machu Picchu Mountain (3200m A.S.L). If the first 400m was tough, it was nothing to climbing the next 800m of very steep steps to the incredible view of the summit. In the heat of the sun I was soon completely drenched in sweat, not surprisingly I drank over four litres of water that day! I sat on a rock overlooking Machu Picchu for close to an hour, until I was sufficiently recovered to climb back down the steps to the ruins.



Late in the day, it was time for a rest. I lay down on one of the numerous grassy terraces and had what was probably the greatest view for a power nap I have ever had. In the late afternoon I wandered around a little more, taking my last view of the incredible place before heading back down the mountain for some much needed rest.



I arrived back to Aguas Calientes around 6:00 PM after spending nearly 12 hours on the mountain, Machu Picchu lived up to expectations and more!

More photos here