Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Huanchaco, Peru

Back in Peru, my first stop was the beach town of Huanchaco. Famous for its beach breaks I spent a couple of days in the sun trying to surf in the frigid Pacific ocean.

Morning and afternoon sessions left my hands and feet completely numb, not the best situation when you have to navigate the very rocky shores that the beach becomes at low tide. Stubbed toes and battered shins were small price to pay, at least I found a wetsuit that fit!

I managed to get a couple of decent rides on my rented Mal, the lessening swell was a good fit for my skill level (i.e. almost non-existent). A few days of paddling left my shoulders and arms tired and sore, but it was great to be back on a board, I look forward to getting back home and out to my local breaks.

As the swell continued to lessen I spent my last afternoon visiting the nearby Chan Chan ruins, a very impressive ancient adobe city.

A pretty laid back town and my last beach destination in South America, it is with a little regret that I leave and continue to head south.

More photos here