Friday, November 16, 2012

Montanita, Ecuador

A few hours further south of Puerto Lopez is the beach town of Montanita. Supposedly the best surf in Ecuador I found the town very touristy but luckily the beach was great, although the constant onshore breeze made the surf very rough.

I stayed in Montanita for four nights sleeping on a very thin mattress in the attic of a rustic hostel opposite the beach. Due to the fact the attic didn't have any walls there was an amazing sea breeze to be had throughout the day and night, the accommodations were extremely basic but it suited me perfectly.


Again I spent the majority of my time swimming, body surfing and sun baking when the weather permitted, it could get quite cool with a strong breeze and the sun behind a vast sky of cloud. Most days were overcast but I was lucky to get a morning and afternoon of brilliant sunshine. Combined with the clear and warm water it was a nice place to spend a few days, and a good way to end my time in Ecuador.

More photos here