Monday, November 12, 2012

Puerto Lopez, Ecuador

It was great to be back near the beach and to sleep in a decent bed after my last few nights of constant travel. Puerto Lopez is much larger than Canoa and Mompiche but what it has in size it lacks in small-fishing-village charm. The weather, while much less humid than Venezuela and Colombia, has been overcast for the last few days, with only a few hours of sunshine so far.

Happily the water is still warm and clean enough to swim in, and it was nice to slow down and get into the beach vibe. I had forgotten how much I love the bakeries in Ecuador, for less than a dollar I can get all sorts of sugary pastries!

During the few hours of decent sunshine I made my way to the nearby 'Machilalla national park'. The beaches there were much nicer (and devoid of rubbish) than the main beach of Puerto Lopez, and I spent a relaxing afternoon swimming, sun baking and exploring the surrounds. I even happened upon two deer crossing my path as I returned to the park entrance, a nice surprise!

With time to spare I will continue to slowly head south, it is not quite time to leave Ecuador. 

More photos here