Wednesday, November 28, 2012

San Pedro de Atacama, Chile

Staring out the window during the twenty-four hour bus journey, I watched the seemingly endless Peruvian coast rush by while I journeyed further south from Huanchaco. I returned to Chile after eight months away and detoured inland to visit San Pedro de Atacama, the driest desert in the world.

At an altitude of 2,400m and under the blazing desert sun I decided it would be a great idea to rent a mountain bike and head off to visit the "Valle de la Muerte" (Valley of Death) and "Valle de la Luna (Valley of the Moon). The going was surprisingly easy, only having to walk my bike in places where the sand had drifted onto the road making cycling impossible. The Valley of Death was appropriately named, it was great to cycle along the barren wastes and imposing rock formations that hemmed in the track.

It was a longer and tougher ride to the Valley of the Moon, but it was definitely worthwhile to explore the amazing salt caves, gigantic sand dunes and to watch the scorching sun descend over the nearby mountain ranges. I returned to the small town dusty, thirsty and sore, but happy for the experience.

Thus the final destination was checked off my list, it was time to return to Santiago and prepare for my flight home in less than a week.

More photos here