Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Paris

My train pulled in to Paris St Lazare station, I shouldered my backpack and set off to find my hostel. Right away I fell in love with the city, stepping out onto the busy streets and being immediately awed by the architecture, old buildings, cobbled streets, crowded cafes overflowing onto the footpaths, it was a pleasure to get lost in the streets trying to find my way onwards.





Once I had settled in, I decided the best way to get a feel for the place was to wander down any street that looked interesting. Easier said than done, everywhere I turned there was something that caught my eye. A gradually found myself taking all of the high streets, and without a destination in mind I came across the 'Sacré-Cœur', and incredible cathedral built on a hill overlooking the city of Paris. Not a bad place to be at sunset on my first night in the city!




The next few days I spent walking as much as possible, visiting the highlights and trying to get a feel for the city. From the top of the Eiffel Tower, to the maze of catacombs under the city streets, everywhere I turned I saw exquisite buildings, monuments to era defining historical events, and more museums that I had time to visit! A perfect place to set off on foot, and explore (with the help of delicious pastries and espressos) until exhaustion set in.





Numerous highlights:

The Eiffel Tower, dominating the skyline and every prettier at night. I walked the stairs to the second viewing platform, then taking an elevator to the top for a breath taking view of the sprawling city below.








The Catacombs of Paris, not built for people my size, but a mind-blowing maze far below the city street, containing the remains of over six million people!






The Arc de Triumph, capping off the bustling Champs-Élysées






The Pantheon, home to the crypts containing the famous sons and daughters of France (Marie Curie, Alexandre Dumas etc) and Foucalt's pendulum.







The cemetery of Pere Lachaise, the burial site of Oscar Wilde and Jim Morrison (among many others).






Whats left of Notre Dame, under heavy reconstruction.





The site of the Bastille Garrison




The Place de la Concorde



More churches, government buildings, historical sights, endless feasts for the senses.

What a city.

Many more photos here