Saturday, September 14, 2019

The Wedding (France version)

The day had finally arrived (again). After an Australian wedding earlier in the year, it was time to see how the French do things. I'll have to admit, I had high expectations given the hospitality, wine and food I'd been offered in the last few days, and it didn't disappoint.



The first surprise of the day was the arrival of the maroon Zimmer Golden Spirit convertible to take the father of the bride and bride to be to the wedding ceremony.




We then all met at the Cerisy-la-Salle government building for the official signing of the marriage license, overseen by the mayor's second in charge (wearing a very fancy looking sash). I was the witness (and ring bearer) for my brother, and had to laugh at their attempt to pronounce my name when it came time for the formalities.




A very quick and official ceremony, then back to the brides primary school for some celebratory drinks and congratulations. Many bottles of amazing Champagne were opened, drinking under the stunning crystal clear sunny skies only made it better.





Soon after the real festivities began, the extended family all returned to the family home where things stepped up a notch. More wine, endless amounts of food, thrilling Foosball games, torrential conversations of french and butchered french were attempted and laughs were had, the formal dance of the bridge and groom kicked off the dance floor fun, where things got a little blurry.







Its a little easy to blame the Champagne, red wine, white wine, Calvados and Sangria, but an incredible night was had, and stories of my dancing style will live on through the ages. I kicked off my dance shoes just before sun up, not being able to remember the last time I stayed up to 5 AM (let alone when I actually danced) but realising what a special day it had been.




The next day was pretty low key (for me at least), and the extended family came over for a birthday celebration for Amandine's niece, and to spend some time together and make a dent in the food and wine. Feeling affected by the lack of sleep, (I guess quality wine doesn't give you a hangover but dancing is bad for you) I kept a low profile, and packed my things for the next stage of my journey.






The day of my leaving arrived, the previous week was so full of great company that I felt sad to be on my way Being in Cerisy-la-Salle felt like being home, even on the other side of the world, but another adventures awaits...

More weddings photos here and others here